WELCOME TO THE 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
The Southwest Licking Schools Food Service Department is excited for another year of serving healthy meals to our students and staff.
EXCITING UPDATE! - BREAKFAST & LUNCH IS FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS
The USDA has extended the waiver allowing ALL students (regardless of their paid/free/reduced status) to receive both FREE breakfast and FREE lunch daily for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.
How does my child begin receiving the free meals?
There is nothing required from families to start receiving free meals. All students may get a free breakfast at either of the 2 breakfast locations within their school as they enter the building each morning. Elementary students will simply let their homeroom teacher know each morning if they would like a school lunch and which of the 2 options they want for that day. All middle and high school students will simply go through the regular school cafeteria line and receive their meals daily.
Do we still need to complete a free and reduced meal application that is typically required every school year?
Yes, if you believe you qualify for free/reduced meals based on income or SNAP/TANF benefits, the eligibility status from the free/reduced meal application is one of the factors used for waiving or reducing school fees, pay to play fees, etc. Even though everyone is temporarily receiving free lunch, fees may only be waived if you qualify based on the meal application and have given us permission to use that information for fees. Plus, once this temporary program ends, meals will go back to regular price for those without approved applications.
Are students still allowed to purchase extras or ala carte items?
Students in grades 4-12 will still be allowed to purchase extras or ala carte items such as snacks, cookies, chips, etc. as long as they have money available on their meal account.
Can students bring their own lunch and just get free milk or one item from a meal free? No, a full reimbursable meal is required by USDA in order to receive the temporary free benefit.
Are the remote learning students able to receive free meals?
Remote learners must sign up to pick up free meals weekly. If you have already opted into the meal pick up program and have been picking up meals, you do not need to do anything further. If you never signed up and would like to sign up for the program and agree to pick up meals weekly, please email Cindy Pickering, Food Service Supervisor, at [email protected]
- A new free/reduced meal application is required each and every school year unless you received a letter from the district notifying you that your child has been directly certified for the new school year due to SNAP/TANF.
- The required application includes a fee waiver. The fee waiver gives us permission to share your free/reduced status to other departments so that your student's fees may be reduced or waived (made free). If we do not have this permission, your student must pay full price for their fees.
- If you do not have to complete an application because you were directly certified, you must still complete a fee waiver in order to allow the student's fees to be reduced or waived.
- The on-line application and fee waiver links are indicated below. Paper applications are available upon request by emailing [email protected]
- The food service department has established a donation account to help eliminate student lunch debt and build a reserve account so that every child has access to a nutritious lunch regardless of their financial situation. Those wishing to donate may prepare a check made payable to SWL Food Service and indicate "Donation-Student Meals" in the memo section.
- $1.25 (all buildings)
- Breakfast is free to all students who are eligible for free/reduced lunch
- Breakfast will not be served on delayed-start days
- Elementary - $2.75
- Middle School - $3.00
- High School - $3.25
- Reduced Lunch - $0.40 (all buildings)
- Adults/Staff - $4.00 lunch/$2.00 breakfast
- Snacks and drinks available for sale at an additional charge for grades 4-12
- All students may charge meals up to the price of 2 lunches in their building
How to Apply Money to Student's Meal Account
- Please use the MySchoolBucks app or website to make payments anytime, anywhere. You may check balances and get low balance notifications. (A small convenience charge is applied for using MySchoolBucks but if you purchase 20 meals at a time, you receive a free bonus meal which makes up for that charge.)
- The MySchoolBucks link is indicated below.
- Cash/Check may also be submitted by your student, at the beginning of the school day, to their teacher or cafeteria and will be applied to their account by lunch time. Cash/Check must be placed in an envelope with the student's name.
Daily lunch menus are subject to change due to inclement weather or product availability. Any necessary changes will be on morning announcements. The last 3 weeks of school are "Cook's Choice" on all menus.